This blog is best viewed with the latest browser and an open mind!

Monday, July 17, 2023

Azhar Kidvai (5)



 

Abi - 1959

While Abi had a small library. (As I said, earlier, that we had little or no money), every now and then he would buy a book. They ranged from Medical Books (including The Kinsey Report), to a 'Locked' Edition of D H Lawrence's Lady Chatterlee;s Lover. He never stopped me from reading a book but when I picked up this book I was 13 years old. I asked for it's key and he said it would be wasted on a child. "Grow up and you'll love it", he said. I read it when I was 16.

In addition to his collection of English books and translations, he also brought a few Urdu books that my mother liked, too. When she said he shouldn't spend more money on these, he said, laughingly, "If you can't buy food, tighten your belt and read a book. It does wonders. Your hunger disappears."

On each of my birthdays I was given more books to read. Thanks, Abi. I once picked up Bertrand Russell's Why I Am Not A Christian and loved it. I took it to him and said I've discovered a great new author. He said. "So did I when I was your age." For the next few birthdays I was always given a BR book along with other books.


His regretted often about where Pakistan was headed.
Here are some pieces by him.









On 19th September 1963 Abi died as he ws saying his prayers in the morning. I always remember that he called this month Sitamgar ستمگر ... and for me it has always remained so. 


For my love of Books, Music, Poetry, Films, Humor, and more, I remain eternally grateful to him.





Labels: , , , , ,

2 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

So your love for books started at a very young age. Books lover can never get bored. Unfortunately I did not get much time to read though initially I was a very keen reader - Hindi classics

17 July, 2023 18:35

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

It says Anonymous - it is me Mukta Lall

17 July, 2023 18:36

 

Post a Comment

<< Home