This blog is best viewed with the latest browser and an open mind!

Thursday, May 11, 2023

Azhar Kidvai (2)

Abi & Ummi: 1956


Abi's fondness for Literature in English and Urdu was something I inherited from him, as I did with his love for all kinds of Music: Western Classical, Opera, Jazz, Indian Classical and Qavvālis. I am so glad that I got all these from him for they have altered my life. I suppose a lot of the Eastern Classical music loving came from his mother who was very interested in it and had major musicians come to her house and perform.

Abi's mother did write a remarkable Foreword for my father's uncle.s book (Alame-Khayal by Shaoq Qidwai).The book was banned at that time in India but is now available in a collection of Shauq Sahab's work by his great grandson). She was a close friend of Atiya Fyzee. - an extremely well-known writer, traveller, and thinker - who was invited to major music concerts in India and the West. 

One of the things I remember most is when I sat for a Test (more about that in another blogpost) for the Merchant Navy, I had to write an essay on why I wanted to join it. I quoted a piece from a book; Sailing Alone Around The World (by Joshua Slocum) … and the examining Captain asked me where I had found this book. I said it was a present from my father. He said, Oh. Is he a Sailor?" and I said, "No, he is a Doctor." That may have helped me get in to a job that I was in for 25 years.

Abi had a large library of books and when he died … and while I was away on a trip … it was all sold to a man who bought rubbish. This was done by my khāla (maternal aunt) for a tiny amount. The money was given to my mother and it must have lasted for a couple of weeks. I spent days going to second-hand shops to see if I could find any and found 2 that are now in my possession. Wherever the remaining books are, I hope the new owners have improved their lives by reading them.

Here is a piece from Naee Paod









• 

Abi's decision, even as a younger person was that people from all religions (and even non-religion persons) should live to gather. It wasn't that they just tolerate each other; they ought to live happily together and celebrate their own happy and sad events together. Another fact was that he knew that Women and Men were absolutely similar in their minds and strongly opposed the patriarchy in his conversations and writings. This can easily be seen in some of his prose and poetry pieces.



Labels: , , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home