This blog is best viewed with the latest browser and an open mind!

Sunday, July 20, 2008

I am a trifle old-fashioned, I guess ...

While I sort of pride myself on not just how accepting I am of change but on how much I try and do to add to its pace, I admit to being guilty of conservatism when it comes to certain matters.  Among them, are the writing standards that I expect from newspapers. Lately, the quality of writing, as of everything else, has become so bad that it has added to the reasons which have weaned me away from the habit of starting the day with the morning edition of The Daily Yawn.

I agree with some of my friends that desi English (though it occasionally grates my sensibilities) is as legit as, say, American English, but I do believe that neither should be considered acceptable when poorly used in professional work.
Had bad writing been a crime, time was when the correspondent who filed the following (and who calls himself a scribe. How quaint!) would have been 'held' instead of the concert he reported upon.
This excerpt is from a business paper and probably speaks the language the majority of its readers do  ... but, to be fair, it deserves to be thanked that it reports on such matters at all in its effort to forge some links between Cents and Sensibility

Labels: , , , , , ,

3 Comments:

Blogger Sidhusaaheb said...

Abysmal standards of teaching of the English language in schools and colleges...Entire generations 'dumbed down'...The results are evident in falling standards of writing in newspapers as well as magazines...Those are the thoughts that flit across my mind at the moment.

Indian newspapers do not fare any better, in this regard.

21 July, 2008 14:17

 
Blogger Fawad Zakariya said...

Zak, this writing is beyond atrocious. It is simply unreadable and gives the impression that not only does the "scribe" not know any English he / she also has no clue of what they are writing about. Sad indeed.

25 July, 2008 02:58

 
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Is this English? You could have fooled me. And what are the sub-editors and editors there for, may I ask?

When I was growing up in Hong Kong, my father used to ask me to read the newspaper so that it would improve my English writing skills. Would one dare do that these days with newspapers such as this?

26 July, 2008 08:40

 

Post a Comment

<< Home