This blog is best viewed with the latest browser and an open mind!

Wednesday, May 17, 2017

An Urdu poet I love …

Zahoor Nazar's collection of Nazms
I bought this book in 1978
and have read it many many times.

Although he never became as famous
as I thought he would,
this collection is superb.

From his poetic Paysh Lafz,
a 7-page poem that starts with these lines
Maéñ shaaér hooñ

Maéñ nay jo mahsoos kiyaa haé jo daykha haé vohi kahaa haé

Chaahay voh dükh ho yaa sükh ho …
to his last nazm, Shahré Saba,
this collection provided me wth a lot of things to think about.
If you can still get a new edition, do get it.

Although I like many poems,
here is list of my real favourites.

(1)
His 5 poems of people's victories
that follow each other in style: 
Inqilaabé Cheen
Jagtay Jazeeray
Faith Suez
Inqilaabé Iraq
Maojé Sada

(2)
His 5 Martial Law poems:
Shabkhoon
Shabkhoon Kay Baad
Islaahaat
Ayk Eed
A'eené Nao

(3)
His brilliant poems
(about life, the universes, and everything?):
Sannaata
Mahaasabah
Aé Ghamé Sübhé Tarab
Maéñ Tera Kaon Hooñ
Vasvasah
Chiraagh Talay
Khamyaazah
Ayk Raat
Pathraao
Patja∂h Ki Ayk Shaam
Ayk Mülaaqaat
Tanhaai

(4)
And, finally,
my two absolute favourites:
Naee Gali
Taxi

Read him if you can find the book.
It'll be old, because it never got published again.


Labels:

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home