This blog is best viewed with the latest browser and an open mind!

Saturday, January 19, 2013

A Degree of Difference: Belief Systems


In an earlier post, a few days ago, I had used a set of definitions taken from a dictionary. However, now one has to move that somewhat further. There are more ideas that have come from Richard Dawkins and his book,  "The God Delusion". In his opinion, there are 7 sections from which one may choose.

1. Strong theist.
100 per cent probability of God. In the words of C. G. Jung, 'I do not believe, I know.'

2. De facto theist.

Very high probability but short of 100 per cent. De facto theist. 'I cannot know for certain, but I strongly believe in God and live my life on the assumption that he is there.'

3. Leaning towards theism.

Higher than 50 per cent but not very high. Technically agnostic but leaning towards theism. 'I am very uncertain, but I am inclined to believe in God.'

4. Completely impartial.

Exactly 50 per cent. Completely impartial agnostic. 'God's existence and non-existence are exactly equiprobable.'

5. Leaning towards atheism.

Lower than 50 per cent but not very low. Technically agnostic but leaning towards atheism. 'I don't know whether God exists but I'm inclined to be sceptical.'

6. De facto atheist.

Very low probability, but short of zero. De facto atheist. 'I cannot know for certain but I think God is very improbable, and I live my life on the assumption that he is not there.'

7. Strong atheist.

'I know there is no God, with the same conviction as Jung "knows" there is one.' 

Dawkins had first said he was "6.5"

but recently stated that he is "6.9" on that scale.

Take a look at this again and see where your belief puts you in this 7-scale setting.

Labels: , , , ,

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home